On
November 27, 2018. I shared the following in a group text to my siblings,
husband, and parents along with a couple pictures: “I realized it was Grandpa Barneck's birthday
today when I was sitting in the temple. I could feel him close during my
session. It was a cool experience. I had another cool experience while doing
the iniatory for this same woman earlier this year. It was one of the things
that got me started on my family history work. I like that Grandpa's birthday
is stamped on the card now. Anyway, just wanted to share. Here's one of my
favorite pictures of him. Happy Birthday, Grandpa!”
It was
interesting how this realization came about. There I was, sitting in an
endowment session and my mind wandered a bit. Suddenly the date hit me,
November 27th! Grandpa’s Birthday! And I thought, “It would probably
make Grandpa happy that I am in the temple on his birthday.” I could instantly
feel him close to me. Like he was giving me a hug. I felt him again in the
celestial room. It was such a special experience. One I will treasure for
years. He was THERE. And he wanted me to KNOW he was there. That he hadn’t
forgotten me even though he had passed on. I felt a connection to him that was
different than the connection I had with him while he was living on earth. I
truly feel doing family history work has brought me closer to my Barneck
grandparents. Closer than I ever was to them while they were living. I see them
differently now, and I can feel them very involved in the happenings of my
life. It’s a blessing of doing this very important work, I think, and I’m very
grateful for it. The connection I feel to them is a blessing to me.
--------
Dec. 3, 2018: "When ordinances in the temple are performed for the deceased, God's children on earth are healed." -Dale G. Renlund
A few weeks ago I had a week that was especially rough. Suffice it to say, my kids need more from me than I feel able to give at the moment. Top that with a recent move, a new job, and normal life happenings and I was spent. I drove the boys to Glendale to go to a birthday party on a Friday night. While they were there, I was able to go here with some family names. The temple was exceptionally quiet. I could feel a strengthening power unique for me in this particular visit. I could almost feel strength being poured into me. I left with a lighter step and renewed capacity. This is a beautiful place.
A few weeks ago I had a week that was especially rough. Suffice it to say, my kids need more from me than I feel able to give at the moment. Top that with a recent move, a new job, and normal life happenings and I was spent. I drove the boys to Glendale to go to a birthday party on a Friday night. While they were there, I was able to go here with some family names. The temple was exceptionally quiet. I could feel a strengthening power unique for me in this particular visit. I could almost feel strength being poured into me. I left with a lighter step and renewed capacity. This is a beautiful place.
"As we touch the temple and love the temple, our lives will reflect our faith. As we go to the holy house, as we remember the covenants we make therein, we will be able to bear every trial and overcome each temptation." -Thomas S. Monson, April 2011
Nov. 27, 2018: Today would have been my Grandpa Barneck's 91st birthday. He loved speaking Spanish, Perry Mason, and classical music. He had a great smile and an even greater laugh. I felt him close today as I thought about how grateful I am for him. Despite the hardships he endured, he found joy in his life, and he never lost his faith. When I think of him, I think of a wide smile on his face. Happy Birthday Grandpa! (This is one of my favorite pictures of him. Spinning my Aunt Gloria around- 1962)


No comments:
Post a Comment