Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Christmas Spirit

At the beginning of January, I accidentally put my phone in the washing machine with a bunch of dirty laundry. Two children were throwing up at the time, and my mental state was not at it's best. Ha. I lost some pictures and videos, which was very sad. But luckily some of them came back from the cloud. I found some pics from December that needed to be documented, so here it goes....
Our new neighborhood goes all out with the Christmas lights. We wonder where their motivation comes from, but we sure enjoyed the finished product! Maybe next year we'll actually put up a strand of lights. (I make no promises. 😉)

I had several experiences that lifted my spirits this Christmas season. The two that stand out the most in my mind were helping give Christmas to a refugee family and the 12 Days of Christmas being gifted to us. These two things really touched me. At first I was hesitant to participate in the refugee family's Christmas. I was feeling like we were just getting on our feet financially after starting Troy's first new job. (Especially because his salary was reduced the first 3 months.) But the more Troy and I talked about it, the more we felt we should do it. It was SUCH an incredible experience. I wrote the following in my journal:

This year our friends the Bramwells invited us to help provide Christmas for a family of refugees through an organization called gathering humanity. This family's wishlist included items that were more necessities than wishes. Clothing, pots and pans, a bed. The family- consisting of a single mother and six children ages 3-17, had come to Phoenix from Africa 10 months earlier and seemed to be in very real need. We divided up the families needs between several donor families and set up a time to meet together and distribute the gifts. The family lived in a low income apartment complex in Phoenix. The place was filled with children of all races and religions running around the grounds. The kids were VERY curious about what we were doing. We knocked on their door a little apprehensively. This family was SO grateful. They excitedly welcomed us into their home. The mother spoke very little English. The 15 year old son did most of our translating. The son who was translating just kept telling us how excited he was and that he couldn't wait to open the presents. It was really sweet. Troy and Jeremy Bramwell set up a bed in the back bedroom while Stephanie and I played in front of the apartment building with the little kids. The bed had some packaging that we took apart and laid out on the ground in front of their apartment. The kids were SO excited to play with the cardboard box and the styrofoam blocks. I was worried some of the plastic might be a choking/breathing hazard. When I started to collect that to take to the garbage one of the boys was so worried I was going to take away his chunk of styrofoam. He held it close to his chest and ran away. It was heart breaking. I told him I wouldn't take his toy, but I don't think he understood. There were probably 15 kids who had come to play with the packing materials. They were just SO happy. To be playing with a box. One of the boys was wearing a garbage sack around his neck. It looked like someone had made it into a Superman cape for him. One of the sons in the family was Gray's age. I told him they were both 5. Both Gray and this boy thought that was cool. They ran around together. It was really cute. After I introduced Gray and their 5 year old son, the boy kept running up to me and reminding me his name. I wish I could remember his name now. I should have written this all down back when we delivered the gifts. I felt like he and I connected. Right before we left to deliver the gifts I had thrown together a bag of random things we had around the house that I thought might be useful for the family. The bag had some hygiene items like deodorant and toothpaste, and also some books, hangers and a soccer ball. When we arrived, the kids outside were playing with an old deflated ball. When we were getting ready to leave, I pulled this 5 year old boy aside. I pulled the ball out of the bag and told him this was his now. His brother translated for me. The little boy's mouth dropped open. He was shocked but also excited. I handed it to him he excitedly took it from me but put it right back in the bag and carried the bag around the house with him- hangers, books, and all- like it was his new prized possession. It was the sweetest thing. It was so sweet. After the men had finished assembling the bed, I explained to the mother and oldest son about the gift receipts I'd brought with the clothes. The mom kept saying, "Thank you! Thank you!" I kept telling her, "We hope you have a Merry Christmas. Thank you for letting us come." and asked her if I could give her a hug. I was near tears. It was such a special experience. The mom asked if she would see us again. I told her I didn't know.  When we left my heart we so full. I was humbled by their situation and their living conditions. They had next to nothing. They had started over in a new country with a new language and seemed completely content and over the moon grateful for what we had brought. This experience changed Christmas for me. It was such a good experience for us and for our kids to see how incredibly blessed we are. For privacy reasons, the organization didn't allow us to take pictures. I took this one in the car when we were loaded up to come home, when I thought my heart might explode. I'm so grateful we were able to participate. It was a special experience I hope I never forget.

Someone did the 12 days of Christmas for our family this year. It was the sweetest surprise. The first day, they gave us a book about the baby Jesus. Each day after that, they gave us the same number of gifts as the number of the day. 2 items for the 2nd day, 3 items for the 3rd day, and so on. They were incredibly generous. One day they gave us $20 of movie ticket gift cards and Harkins theater cups. On another day they gave us EIGHT Chic Fil A gift cards. Each day, the kids were so excited to see what would appear on the porch next. And each day I was even more touched by their generosity. Pictured here is the 7th day when we were given 7 Christmas books. Ruby loved them. I thought I lost this picture when my phone died. I'm so glad I didn't! On the 12th day- Christmas day- we received a package with twelve ornaments for the Christmas tree- each labeled with a different name for Christ. Savior. Messiah. Redeemer. Beloved Son. Lamb of God. Jehovah. Prince of Peace. It was the perfect ending gift. We left them a note on our door on the twelfth day, thanking them. I hope they know how much their generosity meant to us. It made our Christmas season truly meaningful. We are surrounded by so many good people.

Katie and Collin Braithwaite and their baby, Cal, are in our ward. They are living with Collin's parents while Collin studies for the MCAT and prepares to apply to medical school. We met them shortly after they moved in. They wanted to talk to us about the application process, so we had them over for dessert. We fell in love with them. They are so much fun. At Christmas time, they told us they wanted to babysit for us as a Christmas gift. Troy and I went on a date and they watched our kids. Sweetest present ever. Ruby loved playing with baby Cal. I'm so grateful for the new friends we are making in our new neighborhood.

Also in this post, Troy and I at the Christmas Carol. Me in a Russian fur hat. (Troy and I had wandered through Macy's on a date one night and I tried the hat on for a moment. Before I knew what was happening, Troy took a picture and sent it to all his family. Ha.) Also, the kids performing at the Ward Christmas Party. Lots of Christmas spirit in our lives this year.

------

Jan. 13, 2019: "I promise you that, with increased attendance in the temples of our God, you shall receive increased personal revelation to bless your life as you bless those who have died." -Ezra Taft Benson, April 1987 Ensign 

Feb. 12, 2019: Jackson and I at the ward Christmas party. Sure love this kid. Jackson has been having a bit of a hard time lately, and Troy and I have been having a hard time knowing how to help. Jacks has such a good heart. Seeing his smile makes me happy.













No comments: