General Conference Weekend. Haircuts. Sugar cookie decorating. And a big announcement. TWO HOUR CHURCH starting January 1, 2019. What? I've heard rumors of this happening for years. When we lived in Spokane, we heard about a ward or stake that was asked to pilot the 2 hour schedule. So I thought it was probably true the church was thinking about it, however, it had been 6 years and no changes, so I was starting to think maybe it never would. Ha. Honestly, 2 hour church with our crew of four crazy ninos sounds dreamy. It's a big change! Other thoughts on our General Conference weekend below. As always, I love this time we have together as a family to listen to our beloved church leaders.
------
Oct. 21, 2018: General Conference weekend was just what I needed. A quiet weekend at home with family, listening to some inspiring messages. Also, it rained and it was cool enough to open all the windows. I made sugar cookies to celebrate. This hardly ever happens, so the kids were thrilled. {10.6.18}
Oct. 21, 2018: The prophet of my church recently challenged female members to hold a 10 day fast from social media. In June, he challenged the youth to do a 7 day fast, which I participated in, and loved. Honestly, the first few days were tortuous, but by the end of the week I felt so free! So when the prophet challenged the women directly, my first thought was, "What a good idea!" Followed very quickly by, "But, my sister is getting married next week... And Troy's brother too..." 😬 I could have waited until later to do my fast, but I felt I should do it right away, because there would probably always be an excuse for me to wait, you know? I really felt an urgency to do it. So, that evening I deleted social media apps off my phone. This time around, I didn't miss it much, except when it came to the weddings. I feel a bit embarrassed to say it, but it felt like a sacrifice to stay away from Instagram and Facebook during these exciting family events. They were such big celebrations and I wanted to share that excitement here. BUT, guess what? I survived just fine. Ha. And now that my 10 days are over, I can say I'm so glad I did it. There are many good things about social media. I use Instagram as a family journal of sorts. I love that I can keep a record of our family happenings and that I can connect with friends and family that live across the country. I also love that I can share my testimony of my faith here, and even thoughts about the beauty in Down syndrome. But for me, the problem lies in that it is ALWAYS there. It never sleeps. I could always find one more post or article to read- many of which aren't positive or uplifting. And for me, that has been too much of a distraction from the things that matter the very most to me. (Many of which are pictured right here.) I've gained some perspective from this break and I am planning to make some adjustments. I'm so grateful for a living prophet! Now get ready for a an overload of wedding pics. 😉


No comments:
Post a Comment